Thursday, September 19, 2013

Ace of Base: A Skin - Saving Trio


I'm always on the hunt for that perfect makeup base. In the past, a flawless finish was easily achieved, as when you have good skin it doesn't take much - in that situation, the main concern is finding something that will last rather than smoothing or refining the skin. But what about when your skin isn't so good?
 Ever since I began having problems with breakouts and blemishes at the beginning of the year, I've been left feeling dismayed after each attempt at perfecting my complexion. If it wasn't poor coverage from my foundation, or a cakey finish, then it was my makeup sliding off my face by the time I got to work, leaving any little skin sins I'd been wanting to hide in full, unattractive view for all to see.
Fed up with feeling disappointed by all the different foundations I was trying out, I decided to go back to what I knew and visit the Clinique counter. For my first few years of makeup-wearing, I stuck religiously to their Superbalanced and Even Better formulations, both of which I loved and don't really know why I strayed from ( I do - it's one of the perils of being a beauty blogger). Having chatted with a friend who works on the No.7 counter in Boots about how I wanted a good-coverage foundation that wasn't matte (harder to fin than you might imagine), I was pointed in the direction of Clinique Repairwear, but when I visited the lovely lady on the brand's own counter, she suggested I first give their Anti-Blemish Solutions Liquid Makeup a try. She very kindly popped some on for me, and I was thrilled to see my blemishes all but disappear before my eyes. Not only that, but this foundation actually contains salicylic acid, which will treat those pesky spots while you wear it! I didn't nee much more convincing than that, but having tried various formulations from other brands in-store before and then been disappointed when I got them home, Clinique's money-back guarantee was the final push I needed. Apparently, if you get any of their products home and find that you're not satisfied, you can bring them back and get a full refund, which I think is absolutely fantastic considering I was sent on my way upon trying to exchange an unopened Bourjois foundation in Superdrug last week.
To go with my new foundation, I conceded that it was about time I bite the bullet and get myself a primer. I've always put it off, convinced that they were just an unnecessary gimmick to persuade us to part with yet more pennies, but as it happens, the Revlon Photoready Perfecting Primer is the perfect partner in crime. It does as it says on the tin - smooths and perfects the skin, creating a fantastic canvas on which to apply the rest of my makeup.
Last up, I decided to try out another product I've forever shunned: a face powder. Generally, I have to say, I'm not a fan, feeling that they tend to create a cakey, unnatural finish, but the Revlon Nearly Naked Pressed Powder has become my new best friend. Just a light dusting of this leaves my t-zone matte and free of any excess oil, without looking the least bit unnatural or dusty. In fact, having added this little compact to my repertoire, I'm now stunned that I have spent such a long time fearing a matte finish, as when done the right way it works really well and looks incredibly natural. I've always been a fan of a glowy, dewy finish, but I now realise that I can still achieve this with blushes and highlighters without forgoing a stable, long-lasting base.
I am pleased to bits with this trio - they have helped me to get where I have wanted to be for a really long time with my makeup base. Keep an eye out for full reviews, which will be coming up soon.

What are your skin saviours when it comes to a long-lasting makeup base?

xx

2 comments:

  1. I've read some nice things about the Revlon primer in the past, definitely one for me to try :)
    Amy x
    -A Little Boat Sailing-

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like such a lovely trio. Should've grabbed the Revlon Nearly Naked powder when I still could. Revlon is no where to be found across the pond... x

    9 out of ten | follow me on bloglovin

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I read every last word and love hearing your views! It really brightens up my day.

For all PR enquiries, please contact me at: melswallofmirrors@yahoo.co.uk