Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Favourite Haircare Products: Shampoos

Hello pretty ladies, hope everyoneis well today!
I thought I would talk to you today a little bit about my favourite haircare products. Now, I don't want to make this into a ridiculously long post, so I thought that I would do this in three parts, today's being about my top shampoo choices. I will then do a couple more posts for you later on (one a week?), which will encompass all styling and finishing products. I  hope you enjoy this little hair mini-series, and do let me know if there are any other hair-related topics you would be interested in hearing about.

So to start with, a little bit about my hair type.

                                                                (Sorry, same pic again!)




 My hair is reasonably 'normal', I would say. It is long, gets a bit dry on the ends if I go overboard on the heat styling/colouring/sunshine, and tends to become slightly greasy in the fringe area and the roots on day two after washing. I usually wash my hair every other day, because doing so more often seems to do it more harm than good. Don't worry though, I do have have a shower every day!
I have been dying my hair since I was about fourteen, and have tried various different shades. Naturally, I am a brunette, and the closest I have ever been to blonde was having lots of caramel highlights, which I did really like, but it reeeally dried out my hair, especially on the ends, and it also seemed to lose it's shine. In fact, this was only last year, so I am now trying to give my hair a chance to recover and have been using only semi-permanent colours for about the last six months, as I'm trying to grow out whatever is left of those highlights.
Currently, I have L'oreal Casting Creme in 'Brownie' on my hair, which is about my natural colour, and I'm really enjoying being back to that shade, so I intend to keep it like this for the foreseeable future.

So first of all, let me introduce you to my favourite shampoos.

I LOVE Aussie's products, and I think they are really reasonably priced. For me, they are streets ahead of other shampoos and conditioners in the same price range, and for this reason, they have become my 'go to' products.








I am always looking to create a bit of extra volume in my hair. It's long, and is reasonably thick, but not hugely so. I often backcomb the crown to give it a bit of extra 'oomph', so Aussie Aussome Volume Shampoo was an obvious choice for me. This stuff smells absolutely amazing, so much so that I caught the Mr. sneaking a little use of it on more than one occasion! I'm not sure he understands that he can just enjoy the smell of it on my hair, rather than lathering up his own!
I'm not really sure how to describe the smell, but it always seems to make me think of sweet berries and custard! Yum. It leaves a nice scent on the hair after washing too, but nothing overpowering. You can only smell it if you are trying to, if you know what I mean!
I do think that this shampoo helps boost volume, but to my mind, a shampoo can't do that job alone, so how you style your hair after washing and what follow-up products you use is key.
Aussome volume leaves my hair feeling nice and soft, and looking shiny.




Another favourite of mine is a close cousin, Aussie Mega Shampoo. The Mega Shampoo is designed for everyday cleaning, and doesn't leave any build-up on your hair, so I use this about three times a week and exchange it for the Aussome Volume for the other washes. The Mega Shampoo leaves my hair feeling really soft, clean and shiny, and like all Aussie shampoos, lathers up brilliantly, which I feel makes for a better, more thorough wash. This one also has a pleasant smell, though it reminds me a bit of Calpol....remember that? (For anyone that doesn't know, Calpol is a sweet, purple medicine for children to take when they are feeling under the weather). I know that some of you won't be Calpol lovers, but I can remember actually looking forward to having a cold so that I could have some! Haha.
Now, I don't currently have any of Aussie's Miracle Moist, but it really deserves a mention, because I have been using it for several years, on and off, and am always satisfied with the results. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a 'miracle', but it definitely leaves my hair feeling supple any shiny. The only reason I have bought different shampoos from the range instead more recently is because I wanted to try out the new additions and see what I thought.



Tigi's Catwalk Honey and Oatmeal shampoo is absolutely amazing, and when my hair has been over-coloured and is in need of a real treat, I like to splash out on this. It's not cheap, but you can buy it in huge industrial-sized bottles, along with the conditioner, which saves you a few pennies in the longrun. Now, I have to tell you, this is the most delicious smelling shampoo I have ever, ever used! It is just delicious, good enough to eat!
This shampoo is described by Tigi as 'comfort food for your hair', and is designed especially for damaged or chemically treated hair. When I use the shampoo and conditioner together, my hair is left wonderfully silky and smooth, and again, the gorgeous scent remains on my locks, which is absolutely fine by me!
Something I really love about the jumbo-sized bottles (did I just say jumbo!?) is the pump dispensers, which make them ideal for when you are in the bath or shower. Fiddling around with shampoo lids with wet hands is not my favourite thing to do.

So, there you have it. My all-time favourite shampoos.
Which one do you use? Would you recommend it?


xx



8 comments:

  1. I love aussie miracle moist! Ive also used the mega one in the past but I used it for every wash and found my hair was getting greasy...but maybe I need to do what you do and mix it in with another...hmmm! I forgot how much I love aussie, defo going to re-purchase!
    Also your hairs soooo gorgeous and shiny on that picture!!! xxx

    http://ramblingbeauty-nicolelou.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, to be honest I find that with a lot of shampoos if I use them exclusively, surprised to hear that about the Mega shampoo though.
      I had just coloured my har before that photo was taken so that probably explains the shiny hair - it's not all down to Aussie, and sadly it doesn't look as shiny now! Haha.
      Mel x

      Delete
  2. like you, i really only wash my hair every 2 or 3 days. sometimes i'll go up to 4 days -- but that's the most i'll ever go!
    i really like l'oreal's sulphate-free line. the condition of my hair has totally improved! but that's probably because i'm doing regular bi-weekly treatments, not using heat, and easing up on the hair washing!
    you know what else is really good for your hair as well? apple cider vinegar! when i'm in the shower, before i apply shampoo i spritz some apple cider vinegar all over my hair, concentrating at the roots, and leave it in for a couple of minutes while i wash my face and body/shave/exfoliate/whatever.
    hope all is well!

    -alexandra
    http://alexisinodak.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds worth a go. I've got some organic apple cider at home because I take some diluted in water every day for the health benefits. I remember rinsing my hair in malt vinegar once as a kid as I had read that vinegar made it shiny...think I chose the wrong kind though!! Haha. My hair smelled of the stuff for a week!
      You're lucky you can stretch your hair to four days, mine goes oily by the third which is why I tend to wash it every other day, but I do sometimes leave it an extra day and break out the dry shampoo! Ha.
      Have you ever tried coconut oil on your hair?
      Mel x

      Delete
  3. Your hair is gorgeous! I need to invest in some Aussie I think!
    I've tagged you in a tag over on my blog! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks hun, to be fair I think it's because I had just coloured it when this photo was taken, which always makes it look nice and glossy! So I'm afraid I can't give Aussie all the credit for that one, haha!
      Thanks for the tag, looking forward to doing it!
      Mel x

      Delete
  4. ahh that oatmeat and honey duo smell deeevine!!!

    xx
    http://mylushbox.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I read every last word and love hearing your views! It really brightens up my day.

For all PR enquiries, please contact me at: melswallofmirrors@yahoo.co.uk